For one week this summer, the Institute of Cultural Affairs (ICA) is offering the Sustainable Community Development Intensive (SCDI). Over the past 50 years, ICA has been known globally for its participatory methods for community and organizational development and is the developer of the Technology of Participation (ToP®).
SCDI participants will learn tools to build communities that are sustainable environmentally, economically, and equitably. More specifically participants will walk away from the Intensive with:
- Organizing and facilitation methods to engage all types of communities and organizations, including asset based community analysis, creating a framework of support, action planning, and more!
- Theoretical frameworks for understanding community development and strategies for working on systemic change
- A clear grasp of some practical challenges associated with sustainability in America
- An understanding of applied community sustainability work in an urban context, such as the Chicago Sustainability Leaders Network, through field trips and hands-on work
- Strategies for working with local community organizations to apply the methods they have learned during their time in the cohort with a particular focus on fostering climate change action
For more information click here